Friday, June 1, 2012

Kate's 9 month Appt & a Trauma


Kate had her 9 month appointment on May 9th. She weighed 17 1/2 lbs and was 27 in long. Things were going great and she checked out healthy!

We didn't get very far into the appointment before we were all traumatized.

She was weighed and then I stripped her down and laid her on her back so the nurse could mark the table paper at her head and foot to measure her length. The nurse quickly walked away from the table after making the lines. I was still there and Macy Brooks asked for a book out of the stroller. I believe I took a step back and turned to reach the book for her. It took half a second for Kate to flip from her back to her front. When she rolled to her belly there was no more table left and she landed on the tile floor on her stomach and of course hit her head on the floor. She screamed and the nurse and I turned to find her face down on the floor.

It was awful, awful, awful. She cried hard for a good 10 minutes and had an instant huge bump on the right side of her forehead. I cried for 3.5 hours. I COULD NOT STOP. I was so hurt for her, upset with myself and sick to my stomach that something serious and irreversible was going to be wrong with her.

I snuggled and nursed her and she calmed down. Macy Brooks made her smile and laugh which made me feel a lot better. Dr. checked her over and said she looked okay and didn't need to go to the ER. I must have asked him 39 times if he was sure. While he finished the appt (no shots) I was captive in the chair with a coke to keep from passing out and/or throwing up. The nurse had to tend to me while the check up continued. He almost didn't let me drive home because I was so pale and weak, not to mention I could not control the tears.

WHY ON EARTH DID I STEP AWAY FROM MY ROLY POLY SWEET PEA ON A HIGH SURFACE?????????

DUH!!!

There was so much going on between the 2 of them, answering questions for the nurse, smiling at Kate and keeping MB from melting down after sitting in the waiting room for 45 minutes. I temporarily lost my mind. And Kate took full advantage to teach me a hard lesson:( Poor thing!

When I called a few girlfriends that afternoon they all said the same thing...."it's okay, it happens to every kid."


Well, nothing like this ever happened to Macy Brooks. She never fell off anything high or had anything traumatizing happen. I could cry about it writing this post:( It was terrible! Don't walk away from your babies, mommas!! Even for 1 second, because that's about how long it took for Kate to hop off the table. Kate, I'm so sorry I wasn't taking the best possible care of you! I promise to do better and never let anything like that happen again!! I love you:)

Anything like this happen to anyone else??


3 comments:

Kim said...

The exact thing happened to Adeline and me at her 6 month appt. I turned for a sec, and then she rolled right off of the exam table! I felt terrible, but at least the doctor was there immediately to confirm that A was fine. We were both shaken up! However, she is perfectly fine. They're pretty hardy now! I'm sorry that you had to go through it though!

Beth Goff said...

Ash, when we were leaving the hospital for one of Anderson's 2 day or week old appointments (I can't remember which) We put Karoline in the car and shut the door (she was just 19months) and I had walked around to put Anderson in. TJ opened the door and Karoline was leaning against it from the inside and fell head first with force out of our Expedition on to the pavement!!!! It was HORRIFIC! I wanted to run her straight back into the hospital but TJ thought she was fine but I was crying and shaking the whole way home! The knot was HUGE!!! I'll never forget that day!

Amber said...

Oh my! I am so glad Kate was OK. It seems like kiddos just know how to hit their heads. Consider that her early initiation into toddler-hood. So glad the nurses and doctors were there to comfort mama. :)