Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Fall trip to NC



In early October my grandpa(mom’s dad) had a mild heart attack. But then his kidneys failed.  Praise God for dialysis, that he can hopefully be with us a long while longer. After a 2 week hospital stay, he went home. I wanted to lay my eyes on him and visit, so Denny took Friday off work and we headed up.  Thursday night we went to my parents and spent the night and left for NC Friday morning. We had driven an hour when we found out he’d been re-admitted due to a fever. We briefly discussed going back home, but quickly decided to continue on and only Denny and I would be able to visit him in the hospital. Our visit there was 2 weeks ago, since then Grandpa was about to be discharged when he coded. They were able to get him back with the paddles and he's now stable in ICU. Please be in prayer for him that he can get well and be with us for a lot longer!

A lot of our extended family still lives in NC, but this one weekend EVERYONE was away. We had lunch on Friday with my cousin, her baby, my uncle and my dad’s mom and then they all left for VA. My grandpa was in the hospital which meant my grandma(mom’s step-mom) was too.  All the houses we were used to visiting on our trips were empty.
My aunt and uncle asked us to keep their dog since we were staying at their house while they were in VA. Of course we said yes. However, on Saturday morning, Denny’s pill case popped open and Lily ate one of his heart pills. We spent the next 3 hours making sure she was ok. We had to call pet poison control for $35 just to tell them what she ate and for them to look it up. They said she did need to be monitored and to take her to the pet emergency hospital 35 minutes away. Ugh! Denny took Lily and the girls and I went to the farmer’s market and Kohls. What a weird weekend! We are up in NC  where we are usually surrounded by family and time is spent visiting, but yet we are running errands alone like it’s a regular ole’ Saturday.

I was able to visit Grandpa on Friday night and Saturday afternoon and give Grandma a break. He’s doing better since his fever broke and they think he can go home Monday. I was hoping the girls could see him and cheer him up, but I wasn’t willing to take them to a hospital.
Saturday evening, I met Denny and the girls back at Grandpa’s house to check out their latest contraption. Grandpa built a zip line this summer and it rocks! The girls and I both rode and it’s fast! While Kate was riding it, I kept saying, “My baby is on a zip line!”   I couldn’t believe we put her on, but she giggled the whole time! We then raided their fridge for leftovers and headed back to check on Lily and go to bed.

It was too strange being there and hanging out with just our family.
Here are the videos from our zip line adventures:


Macy Brooks does the zip line first! It's sideways and I'm annoying:)


Then Kate did it, I kept saying "my baby's on a zip line!" 


Then I did it, it was scarier than it looked! I was afraid it wouldn't hold me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the zip line videos! Dewey was so clever to build that and make a modification for the girls. Miss and love you all!

Desiree :)