Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New York City

Mom and I were able to join Sarah and her mom, Judy on a trip to NYC for Judy's Christmas present! We had a such a great time. Our flight left early Sunday morning and we returned Wednesday night. Our highlights included: Empire State Building, Ground Zero, The Statue of Liberty and seeing 'Wicked.' It was such an amazing trip. We walked all over that city and tried to get as much in as possible in 3 1/2 days. I think we did a pretty good job=) Enjoy a few of our pictures!
View from the top of the Empire State Building-breathtaking!


Mom and I at Rockefeller Center


This is St. Paul's Church. George Washington had his inauguration here. It as also survived a fire and the blast from the World Trade Center-it's right across the street.


This is a picture of a wall of posters from that tragic day in 2001. It is a collection of 'missing' posters and those who never returned to their Earthly home that day. It was overwhelming how many people are on this wall. There were 2 more walls just like this one. In the tribute center is a gallery of momentos, artifacts and facts listed about the day. In the back plays a video of all the names of people who died that day. It is 4 1/2 hours long.

The trip for me was a great escape from "real life." I didn't have to think about anything in my regular day to day routine. It was such a freeing feeling! During the trip, I really didn't let myself think about Brooks too much. I was afraid of becoming too sad and it putting a damper on one of our days. However, he was heavy on my heart during our 'Tribute Tour of the World Trade Center.' If you ever visit NYC, I highly recommend taking this tour. It is led by volunteers who were greatly affected by September 11th. Our particular tour guide had a husband who was a NYC firefighter. He is believed to have been in the South tower when it collapsed. She did not find out until 8pm on 9/11 her husband would never be coming home.

What touched me the most is what happened at the end of the tour. Someone was commenting to her about why she volunteers at the Tribute Center. Her response was, "I do this because I do not want anyone to forget my husband or what happened to us that day." At this statement, I could no longer hold back the tears. It hit me like a ton of bricks, "that's what every person who loses a loved one is afraid of!" I've mentioned it before-this is one of my greatest fears and it still is-that our sweet boy will be forgotten down the road when our lives look different from now. I turned to Sarah, Judy and mom and said "That's it, when we get home I must start a tribute tour for Brooks. That way no one will forget him! We'll start in Dallas where he was conceived. Go to Hilton Head where we had our babymoon. And visit all the special sites where I threw up!" LOL! Everybody cracked up and I made myself laugh too.

This is a picture of Ground Zero. If you click on it to enlarge, in the back on the white building across the street you see the 'Winter Clearance Sale' banner. Well that is how high the debris was after the towers fell. Unbelievable!


This picture was taken in Battery Park, which is at the end of the Financial District and close to where you get on the Ferry to see Liberty and Ellis Island. The ball used to be located in the plaza of the World Trade Center-basically the middle of all the big buildings. What you see here is what is left after 9/11. Pretty amazing it's in this good condition, don't you think?


Here she is! Isn't she beautiful? Very magnificent in person!



Not a great picture, with all the blurry lights, but here is mom and I about to go inside the Gershwin Theater to see Wicked-Excellent!


My other favorite part of the trip-Dinner in Little Italy. We had yummy food in a quiet restaurant. The wine, atmosphere and conversation could not have been better. Our mothers talked to us about marriage, very interesting.


Our last sight on Wednesday morning, when it was 9 degrees might I add. Central Park. It was a gorgeous park with tons of trees, playgrounds, ball fields, and trails that went every which way. I found it a little weird to be on Columbus Circle one minute with honking cabs and then in the middle of a lovely park the next. So glad they have made it a priority to keep it nice!


And of course, my little boy in NYC! I miss you little man!

3 comments:

Laura Ripley said...

I'm so glad you had a good trip. It's nice to get away. Scott and I are going to get away at the end of Febuary. It will be fun

sjefferson said...

That really was a great trip! Great city, fantastic friends and rich converstaion -- a vacation to remember forever! Glad you guys were able to pull it together to go at the last minute.
Love ya!

ellerbee eight said...

Hey thanks for commenting on my blog. Your trip to New York looks awesome! I am so jealous! My oldest daughter and I went this summer and had a blast. I was so excited when you said you went to North Point, but then I realized you live in Georgia. We got to North Point in Missouri. :( I read your old posts and was moved to tears over your sweet little Brooks. I can't imagine. God Bless You.