Monday, January 26, 2009

I trust You

Brooks was born on a Thursday. Our 39 week appointment was on Wednesday, the day before. That morning I woke up and was starting to wonder how my little guy was doing in there. My worry was really gearing up around noon on Wednesday(my appt was for 3pm) so I called any friends I could think of and asked about their pregnancies. Each friend told me the same thing..."I barely felt her/him move in the last few weeks" or "you're just running out of room." I had also read the same thing on the internet that very morning. I gave the dr's office a ring and asked if they had any earlier openings. I never told them why I was calling and they said they were completely slammed. I told them I could wait a measley 2.5 more hours and did my best not to worry. I laid down on the couch and prayed to my Heavenly Father.

"Dear God,
I don't know what you're up to but I trust You. You know what's going on in there. I really want You to keep Brooks safe and bring him to us soon. Thank you for this sweet blessing and the wonderful past 39 weeks. You know I'm starting to worry and I'm putting a stop to it. I will not worry anymore. You are in control and will take good care of us. I am putting this baby in Your hands and I trust You."

If I only knew what I was praying. God was already taking the best care possible of our sweet boy. He did know what was going on and He has taken great care of us. Grace has been sweeping into our home in the most abundant ways.

Shortly after we came home from the hospital I remembered the prayer I prayed that Wednesday morning. My first thoughts were..."God, you have really let me down this time. I did a good job of not worrying when I really wanted to freak out. I told You I trusted You to take care of Brooks and You let him die."

My anger only lasted a week or two and I realized my post-partum thoughts had not been Godly. He was taking the BEST care of our baby. He knew what He was doing. He had it all laid out for a greater purpose. We may not understand it yet or ever, but Jeremiah tells us His plans only work together for good. When I told God I was trusting Him I meant it. That meant I had to keep on trusting Him even when I didn't get my way and get to keep our Brooks.

Thank you God for staying faithful when I didn't feel like talking to You for a couple weeks. Thank you for laying out great plans for Denny and I. We do trust You. When things are going good and when things are not going our way. We love You.

7 comments:

Amanda Hoyt said...

Ahsly, your post has me in tears. For your pain and the pain that Jesus already took away from us when he died for us those many years ago. How we can deserve His love and mercy is beyond me. Thank you for posting this reminder of how God takes care of us even when we feel like we are beyond comforting.
Hugs and prayers,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

It is so comforting to know that God takes care of us. It is also wonderful to watch God work in your life. You are a walking testament. I can only hope and pray that I would have as much faith and trust as you do if the unthinkable happened. Thank you for your Godly example.

The Carroll's said...

Your faith and trust amaze me. We are all lucky to know you.

Rachael Walkup said...

You speak the truth today Ashly. Thanks for posting what I needed to hear. I love you!

Kristie said...

Thank you so much for you post!! It is so amazing to hear from you on these posts... how real, how honest. You are an amazing role model for me. I feel so privileged to read your blog.

Kimberly Jones said...

Ashly, you and Denny continue to amaze me. I continue to pray for you and Denny, because I am sure some days are easier than others. Your post really spoke to me! I love you Ash!

Wendy said...

Hi Ashly,
I do not know you personally but have been reading your blog and I go to church at FBCPS and know Laura & Bonnie and have been praying for you. My heart truly goes out to you and I know there are no words I can say to make you feel better - just know that so many people are praying for you!