Friday, February 6, 2009

Guilt

So I haven't updated in a little while, which is unusual for me. The reason behind the long break is that I've been trying to build up the courage to write my thoughts on guilt. It's not a topic that I particularly want to write about, but it is a big part of grieving a stillborn baby. I'm hoping once I voice what's swirling around in my head I can begin to let go of some unpleasant feelings.

I'm sure people have wanted to ask, "did you not notice he wasn't moving around as much?" It's a natural thought process for an outsider. However, I am so thankful no one has approached me with that question. I did notice Brooks had been quiet beginning late Tuesday night when D and I went to Provinos for Eggplant Parmesan (yes, I was trying that old wives tale that eggplant has labor inducing powers!) We wondered if we should call the doctor and apparently decided against it. Brooks had been quiet the week before and after drinking a coke, many glasses of freezing cold water and shaking my belly violently I could not get him to kick me. So I didn't hesitate and called the office. They said "come over to the hospital, we want to check you out." I left work immediately and was at the hospital in 10 minutes. The nurse hooked me up to a non-stress test machine that measures the baby's movements. Instantly I was greeted to that joyous rhythmic sound of my little man's heartbeat. After about 20 minutes, a few position changes, and several cups of cold juice he began squirming around and the nurse printed the test for the midwife's approval. She approved and let us go home. So when Brooks decided to be quiet the following week we kept thinking back to how he showed us up at the hospital 5 days earlier.

I would literally give my right arm to go back to the night of 9/16/09 and head over to the hospital for a little checkup. Why would I even risk it and take a chance? We'd waited 2 years and experienced enough baby grief already. Just call the freakin doctor! Hello! Now, I know that isn't possible and this has all happened for a reason, blah blah blah, but I can't help but think I could have somehow prevented his death.

Not being consumed by guilty feelings is a daily struggle for me. The main things I feel guilty about are:
Not calling when I had a bad gut feeling
Not requesting the hospital to do an ultrasound or further testing when I was there at 37 weeks
Not taking the baby aspirin past 37 weeks even though this was the dr's recommendation

I am well aware it is not my job to have to request hospital staff for futher testing. It is also not my job to continue taking aspirin past the advised date. But I know better! I am quite educated in the realm of pregnancy and should have thought twice.

There's no way to know when Brooks passed away and unfortunately our autopsy did not show why. I do not know for sure, but when I logically think about a baby in the womb, there's no telling how long a baby has to press on their cord and cut off their blood supply. He could have outstretched his foot during a nap and pinched it between us, who knows. Either way, guilt still lives in me.

I believe every mom wants to feel like a good mom. That's where I really struggle. I feel like the worst mom. How could I not know when my baby wasn't doing good? Why would I not get him checked out at first thought? A good mom would know better. That's what is really sad for me. Not only have I ALWAYS wanted to be a mom, but I wanted to be a good one, great, the best. And when your baby passes away inside of you, it's hard to feel like a good mother. I hope and pray Brooks could feel how much I loved him and knew I really tried to do what was best for him.

I beleive guilt is one of the most powerful emotions one can have. Guilt was really overwhelming in those early days. I went on a walk with Kim and Sarah one day and Sarah changed the way I view guilt. She began telling me that guilt is not a feeling from God. Not a Godly emotion. He does not give me or want me to have those feelings. My feeling guilty was an emotion that would please Satan. Satan was gaining joy every time I beat myself up or couldn't stop crying feeling like it was all my fault. Once she put it that way, I have been handling guilty thoughts so much better. There is no way I want Satan to get any pleasure out of our tradgedy. I only want to use it for God's glory and to help others. Now when those guilty feelings creep up, because yes, they still do, I am better at dealing with them.

This was such a hard post to write. I fear any readers I have out there are going to have bad feelings about me and my mothering skills. Way down deep in their hearts, even if they don't want to feel that way. I miss my boy more than I can express. I still picture his little 4 month self fitting in perfectly to our family. Please continue to pray for us and specifically for my guilt. It's terrible on those overwhelming days. Pray I can keep it under control and remember Satan is to get no glory out of our circumstances. D and I really appreciate all the support and prayers we have received. It is making a big difference in our lives! Thank you:)

22 comments:

Kasey and Tyler Brindle said...

Ashly, I will continue to keep you and your husband in ny prayers. Sarah is correct, satan takes pleasure out of you feeling guilty. Don't let him enjoy this.I hope things get better with time.

Kasey

Summer Pendley said...

Ashly, I am always still thinking and praying for you...you know that. Thanks for this post...I had been wondering how you've been. Sarah is right...our feelings of guilt are a pleasure for Satan to see, but please know that they are part of our flesh also. They happen. They're normal, but they are not OF God. He wants to deliver us from the bondage that guilt creates. I pray that God continues to work in you and Denny each day...working on this "guilt" and protecting you from the enemy.

Hang in there girl! :)

Becca Daws said...

Still praying for you sweet friend. You are loved and thought of so much!

Daddy's Dream ~Mommy's Miracle said...

you are a great mother.... hugs and prayers

Lisa Shoch said...

Ashly, you do not know me. I am a friend of Shannon and Phill's and I have been praying for you since the day Shannon first shared your story with me. I read your blog regularly and am deeply touched me it. Your raw honesty and your devotion to the Lord is inspiring!!

As a reader who does not know you personally, I want you to know that never once have I thought that you were a bad mom throughout any of this. I'm 110% sure no one else does either. In fact, the feelings of love and heartache that I hear in every blog you write shows me how wonderful and loving of a mother you were to sweet little Brooks. Do not let Satan encourage you to doubt yourself. It's hard enough being a mom without something so tragic laying on your heart... do not let Satan give you even more doubts.

God is blessed to have a devoted servant such as yourself and I believe that Brooks is smiling down from heaven prouder than anyone of the beautiful mom that God gave him.

The Gordon Family said...

Thanks for your post and the honesty, I could have written this myself as I knew I was in labor two days before I delivered my girls, I knew something was wrong, why didn't I go in...I don't know and I will never know. Satan is trying to get into your heart with that overwhelming guilt. I am sorry you are struggling with that emotion right now. I have been thinking of you so much and wondering how your heart was healing. I know God has amazing plans for you, you are an incredible mother and you will be blessed beyond words. I love you and am praying daily for you, Denny and Brooks...

Rachael Walkup said...

Ashly, I'm so glad you posted this. I just love your raw honesty. Guilt is a feeling satan loves for us to fear (Sarah is so very smart). Just remember everytim eyou resist the feeling of guilt you are glorifying God and smashing the devil. I love you much. I'm praying for you and Denny daily!

ps-you are an amazing mother!

Laura Ripley said...

Ashley, I am so glad that you can take comfort in our absolutely sovereign Lord. As you know already he is in control of all things. Nothing takes him by surprise. I am so thankful that you are choosing to trust and love him knowing that he had control over this situation. You are a great mother. Look at all the amazing care and love you put into your pregnancy. You have a Godly mother's heart. You can't get any better than that. Just know that all of the mother's reading this can think back on our first pregnancies and tell you that we would have done exactly what you did. We all love you and know that you are a wonderful mother. I hope you never listen to that liar again. Because that is what he is. The father of Lies. I'll be praying.

Lisa Shoch said...

Yes, I will be at Kelsey's party. I have tennis at 2 pm but I'm hoping I will only be a little late. I look forward to meeting you later today! I may ask your permission to hug you... I feel like I've known you through your blog for so long that just saying 'hi' doesn't seem enough. :-)

sjefferson said...

I want to know these people who could possibly think that a stillborn's mom is a bad mom! Shame on them. That is a horrible thought! Ashly, you have a God-given ability to be a mommy. Brooks knew that too...and so will your other babies and they'll be blessed to have you. This was totally out of your control, even though Satan would have us believe otherwise. I am still praying against this guilt and worry to be replaced with God's perfect peace!
Love you!

Tonya said...

Ashly, I left a comment for you yesterday but its not here. I'm new to this so please forgive me! I have been praying for you that God will bring peace to your heart and shove Satan where he belongs. I've struggled with guilt, and still do, over losing Grady and what, if anything, I could have done differently. The answer is nothing, for you and I, because if there was, we would have certainly done it. Thank you for your courage to post this and know that you're being lifted up to the Lord. You are a great mother and Brooks knew how much you loved him every minute you carried him. Hope we get to meet soon to share our broken mom hearts together and cling to hope for the future. Hang in there!

Tonya

Anonymous said...

I found you blog somehow this evening and just wanted to tell you that I will be praying for you and your family...you don't know me, but I am sitting here crying thinking of how you much feel...I have never had a baby nor been pregnant because God has other plans for my husband and I...I can not have children although that was always what I wanted to do most in life. I do truly believe He does everything for a reason and put my faith in that, but that doesn't always make it hurt any less...I am so sorry for your loss. I don't know exactly why I felt the need to comment, but please know you will be in my thoughts and my prayers. Beautiful post...

Wendy said...

Hi Ashly,
I know you do not know me but I know of you through others - I want to say that you and your struggles may very well have saved my baby. We were due close to each other and I was 38 1/2 weeks along and had just heard about you losing Brooks in Sunday School and the very next day, I did not feel my daughter move like she normally does. Like you, I thought "Well, it's the end and they say they don't move as much, etc." and I would not have gone in (MOST people would not...DON'T beat yourself up over this second time you did not go - it is a major ordeal to go up there and I know how that is..you feel silly and like you should just trust God - this is normal!) - but because I had heard your story, I went...thankfully she was okay and we were more alert because of you. I know this story does not bring Brooks back or take away the pain you are feeling (and I almost did not write this because of the guilt I feel from having my baby come out healthy) but I wanted you to know that because of you, I went in and was more alert. Thank you!! Know that God has big plans for you and for Brooks in Heaven!!

Kimberly Jones said...

Ashly, You are a wonderful mommy! I remember our walk that day, and my heart went out to you and still does. Sarah is right, those feelings don't come from God, but we do have them! I pray that God will help comfort you and take these feelings of guilt away from you. I know He is going to bless you and Denny! To watch your faith, even though it's been tested, and see Him working is such a blessing. I love you both and will never forget that precious Brooks!!!

Stephanie says said...

Hey Ashly, I just wanted to let you know that you and Denny have been in our thoughts and prayers a lot lately. Please know that you will never be a "bad mommy". The love that you have for Brooks only proves how wonderful of a mother you are. Continuing to pray for you and Denny daily.

Stephanie and Matt

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley, Katie's friend Kate here - I like to think on Phil 4:8-9 to guard again intrusive and destructive thoughts as well as 2 Tim 1:7...those thoughts are not from God.

jennifer said...

Ashly and Denny,
I found your blog through mike and emilys...
I am so sorry for your loss and everything you have been through. I cried as I read through your whole blog. I know we just met both of you, but yall are such amazing people and I can't wait to get to know you more. We haven't been through even close to what you have, but we have lost 3 babies in the past year through miscarriage, so my heart truly breaks for you both... As a mom, you will always think you are in control and i am learning as well that you aren't. Brooks is beautiful and I know in heaven one day we will get to hold these babies that weren't here now. I am so glad we met, love and prayers.

Anonymous said...

ASHLEY,
THANK YOU FOR SHARING THE INCREDIBLE STORY OF BROOKS. I'LL BET ONE DAY YOU WILL BE "ONE OF THE GREASTEST MOMS EVER"...IN A WAY YOU ALREADY ARE. YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND'S STORY WILL HELP OTHERS AS THEY FACE SIMILAR HEART WRENCHING LIFE SITUATIONS. MAY GOD'S GOODNESS AND GRACE FOLLOW YOU ALL THE DAYS OF YOUR LIFE.
THANK YOU.
MARK KEEL

Anonymous said...

Ashley,
Thank you for sharing your experience so beautifully. My gut tells me you will make one of the greatest mothers ever!
Sooner or later we all face really brutal life situations. God is Sovereign in all things great and small. He loves His children so deeply even when we can't understand our circumstances. Nevertheless, we trust Him. (Think how Jesus had to 'trust' Him in the garden just before the Jews took Him). Everything you and your husband experienced will help each of us down the road to get through our trial with perspective. May God's grace and mercy follow you all the days of your life.
Mark Keel

Laura Ripley said...

Hey Ashley, Who is Mark Keel? He's my dad. He found your blog from mine. I am getting him into blog reading.

Anonymous said...

Ashly,
Thank you so much for writing this post. I starting reading your blog through Katie's blog. I lost twins last year and have been struggling alot with guilt also. Why didnt I notice something was wrong...I should have insisted on more testing...and on and on. I never thought of guilt as Satan's work but it is so true! Thank you writing about your feelings so openly. I admire your faith
Saraj

Due West UMC said...

Hey Ashly,
I know all too well how you feel. It's a natural way to feel and one that's hard to get to go away. I so respect your ability to be open and honest. I think it's really important in the healing process. I wish I was better at it. I still pray that God will comfort and bless you and Denny!