Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Happy Birthday to me:)

A post about our Easter is coming soon, but I wanted to document what happened today before I forgot any details. So today was my birthday....Macy Brooks and I slept in a little and had a nice leisurely morning. We hung out for a bit and then decided to head to Chick-fil-A for a biscuit (yum-o!). While there, MB headed into the play area while I ate. Shortly after, a little boy came over and said "I just can't open this door, can you help me?" He was so polite and sweet, I gladly let him in to play with my girl. Then his mom sat down and we began chatting. It was the usual 'how old is she/he talk(he was 2.5yrs), how far along are you?, do you know what you're having?' talk. She also shared with me that her other son was 20 months (same as MB). So I'm already thinking, "wow, she has kids the exact same age as mine-but both of hers are here."

I told her we had a son that didn't live who we knew would be a boy. With her pregnancy, it was my turn to choose so we didn't find out and now this time I have converted my husband to not finding out...blah blah blah. So I've mentioned our boy, but never said his name. After us moms finished eating, we headed into the play area to play.

Shortly after we went inside I heard it... "Brooks, Brooks, let's not yell so loud. Brooks, where are you? Brooks, are you being nice up there?"

It literally took my breath away and my eyes were hot with tears. Her 2.5 year old was named Brooks.

A minute later I was sitting in the floor with her playing and Brooks came over and sat in my (ever-shrinking!) lap. He just hung out and then hopped up. It was crazy. It was such a glimpse as to what 'coulda, shoulda' been. I drove home crying my eyes out. There were just too many things the same. Our kids were the exact same age! And named the same! What are the odds?

After I had a good cry, Macy Brooks and I made my birthday cake and continued on with our day. She was very sweet all day and we finished up the night having dinner at Provinos with friends.

I can't help but think my son was 'visiting' me(in a way) on my birthday. I still haven't figured out why I was crying so hard. It was probably a mix of sadness and other emotions I still can't put my finger on.








Side note: This is Macy Brooks last year on my birthday. I CANNOT believe how much she's changed! She's sitting next to one of her boyfriends, Grey. He just turned 1 and is running all over the place! Why the heck do they have to grow up so quickly? Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh! Makes Momma sad!

9 comments:

Tonya said...

I totally would have balled my eyes out, too. (((HUGS)))

Love,
Tonya

Ebe said...

I agree with Tonya. I would have cried too. In fact, we have a neighbor with a little boy named Owen who is just two or so weeks older than our Owen and when I hear his named being called - I cringe/cry/get angry/sad/so many other emotions...

Happy birthday to you!

Deborah Anne Whitfield said...

Happy Birthday Ashly!! Sending a big hug your way!

Sara Price said...

How exciting...just got finished reading a book I think you will love!! Hope you had a great birthday!

katie davis said...

catherine and i went to chick-fil-a yesterday too. it must be the thing to do on your birthday with your sweet little girl;)

Jill said...

Loved spending your birthday with you!

Jill said...

Wow...amazing story...TOTALLY get why you would have cried and cried. Wow.

jennifer said...

1. Happy birthday!
2. Everytime I meet a child named Brooks, I stare at him for a long time and then realize it's not my child and I am going to freak the parent out.
3. I miss you and also, if Macy Brooks goes missing, I stole her ;) she is so freaking adorable.

Laura Ripley said...

Happy birthday!!