Sunday, May 17, 2009

Story from Dr's Office

Finally, I know!

So last Monday I went to the gastro dr for some intestinal issues-insert 'diarrhea'-but sshhh don't tell anybody, that's embarrassing:) Anyways, I wanted to share this story because it was just crazy. I can't even believe this doctor made it through medical school, much less has ANY returning patients. I made hubby take a picture of me last Monday just so you can see how I looked that day:

Does everyone see my big belly? Okay then, on with the story.

I arrive at the office and fill out appropriate paperwork, including an entire section about my Current Pregnancy. Dr. comes in (I'm sitting on the exam table in my regular clothes, and her on the stool) and she begins by asking me to tell her what's been going on. I begin with the story of which I'll spare you the details. During my 1.5 minute speech about "what's been going on" I say, and I quote, "my OB checked me out and told me that diarrhea is very common with pregnancy, but he just wanted you to check me out in addition to him." Dr. and I talk for about 2 more minutes and she begins to get up and listen to my heart. As she is rising from her seat she says, and I quote, "Uh.. are you pregnant?" I'm stunned! Um, have you looked at my paperwork? Have you listened to a WORD I've said thus far? Have you seen my big belly?

I am too stunned to say anything but 'yes' and she proceeds to ask me how far along I am. 23 weeks is my answer to which she writes down on my notes form.
Dr: So, why are you on this baby aspirin?
Me: My OB doctor's have me taking it daily for the entire pregnancy because we had a stillborn baby last year and they want to prevent any blood clotting issues with this baby.
Dr: Okay, so is this your first baby?
Me: No (even more stunned after what I just freakin said!) This is our 2nd.
Dr: So, what about your other child?
Me: Um, our stillborn son last year.....
Dr: oh, yeah yeah (shooing her hands, minimizing the very existence of my little man)

So the exam continues where she listened to my heart and poked around my belly, nothing really. After that mindlessness she states: "Okay, well I want to do a colonoscopy, but don't worry, pregnant women have emergency surgery all the time-it'll be fine."

Uh...don't think so lady!

"We'll give you safe anesthesia, safe laxatives for the prep work the day before (in case you still haven't been listening, I don't have problems cleaning myself out), your vitals and the baby's vitals will be monitored, really no big deal. Oh, and one more thing-be sure to STOP TAKING YOUR BABY ASPIRIN AT LEAST 4 DAYS PRIOR TO THE PROCEDURE."

Is this lady a complete moron? Did she hear what we went through last year? Does she want to maybe call my OB doctor's to confirm or discuss whether this would be safe or not? HELLO!?

Once she's done rambling, I calmly state that I'm not comfortable with that suggestion and won't be going through with a colonoscopy until I deliver this baby. She proceeds to ask why and I let her know that I'm not going to stop taking the baby aspirin for anything and I'll just wait till the fall to have it done. She looks at me and says, "do your doctor's even know you're taking it? did they prescribe it for you?"

Geez Lady!

She finally agrees that waiting will be fine and says, "So if you're 29 weeks now that will put you delivering when?"

23 weeks, I'm 23 freakin weeks, you know what you just wrote down on your little notepad there about 3 minutes ago! WOWSERS!

I get the heck out of there and decide in about 1.2 seconds that she will never stick nothing up me nowhere!

15 comments:

Stephanie says said...

Wow!!! That is a story and a half...I really can't believe that she is practicing medicine! That is my least favorite thing when you go to the Dr and have to explain over and over to them, because they are really not listening! :) Hope you have a great week!

Desiree said...

That's a funny story although quite disturbing! I just started reading your blog and am praying for your family.

Beth Goff said...

CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, I would NEVER see her again!!!!!

EAJan678 said...

Ummm...I would be writing some sort of letter to some sort or guy that's in some sort of charge. Because that lady is KOO-KOO!!

Clh03uga said...

Yes...seriously crazy! AND I would let your doctor know about your experience with her so they don't refer anyone to her!!!!

Laura Ripley said...

Where is the compassion doctor's!!!! Whatever!!! Stay away from her.

Summer Pendley said...

Like I said before...this doctor obviously didn't look over your chart and is CLUELESS!

You shouldn't have had to explain anything...hope your dr. visit goes great today! Keep us posted :)

Ms. D said...

Unbelievable!

Rory and Cindy said...

OH MY GOSH!!! Crazy lady! I would've definitely run too...and your belly looks adorable by the way!

Our Journey to Africa said...

You should seriously report her to whoever the "head" doc is at that practice. We had a new doctor come into our family doc's office. She thought she knew it all, misdiagnosed lots of people, and was fired within a few months of arriving. Definitely talk to one of the other docs!!

Amanda Hoyt said...

Wowwee! That doctor is just plain crazy!!! I'm so glad you told her no and that you left her office. I had a similar situation recently with a neurologist and went for a second opinion somewhere else. I'm praying that you start to feel better soon.
Hugs,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is soooo CRAZY!!!! I found your blog thru someone else's and have been reading for a month or two now. Your story really inspires me! My hubby and I have been trying to get pregnant for 15 months, and have been struggling with infertility. I was feeling depressed until I read your story and all you have been thru. I have had a little trouble keeping my faith thru it all, but you are really an inspiration to me that way! It's amazing to me that you can keep your faith like you do with all that you have been thru. I want to have the faith that you do, but it's SO hard for me right now. Any advice? You, your hubby, and baby T have been in my prayers, and will continue to be!

jennifer said...

idiot, just an idiot. see you tomorrow! loved your big belly on sunday :)

Lindsay said...

Wow! That is crazy, I am sooo sorry you had to go through that! I hope you get to feeling better, keep me updated! You're belly is so cute, can't wait to see you! Love you!

Brenda Albright said...

wow. she definitely didn't graduate at the top of her class!! nice bedside manor too. hope you are feeling better now!