Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Baby Dedication

January 24, 2010 marked a very special day in the Tucker home. Denny and I dedicated Macy Brooks. In our eyes, this means we have committed to raise her to know Jesus. It wasn't infant baptism and it wasn't a magical ceremony enabling Macy Brooks to go to Heaven.

Baby Dedication at our church is a way for Denny and I to decide what will matter most as we raise this daughter of ours. The event was simple, but very meaningful.

Each family had a table with 10 seats so we could invite family and friends to witness our commitment. My parents and grandparents, D's parents and our great friends, Sarah & Curtis all came.


There was a simple message about what it means to be a Christian parent, music, a slideshow with all the families, cupcakes, a professional photographer and time for D and I to share what means most to us as parents. What I took most from the message were 2 things:

1. We, as parents, will spend more time riding in the car with our child in 1 month than the church will spend with our child all year. It is OUR job to teach Macy Brooks values we want her to know, not the church's.

2. EVERYTHING we do as parents needs to be intentional. It's hard work to teach a child biblical principles in this day and age. We need to always speak in the name of Jesus, bring Him into our life in every circumstance and situation.

We shared our top 5 family values and our 2 consistent habits we will share with MB. A great idea given to us was to keep this list handy and pull it out on her birthday every year to re-evaluate.

After we shared, there was a time of prayer. Our friends and family gathered around us to pray for us as parents. Extremely powerful!


To celebrate our family event, we invited a few people to our home for a chili dinner and cake. Kate made this beautiful cake and it was delicious! I love sharing these special family times with people that prayed so diligently for the Lord to let us keep a child. A special thanks to our parents and grandparents for making the long journey.




"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."
Proverbs 22:6

8 comments:

Jill said...

Rejoicing with you too! What a special event it was! And I LOVE the cake..wish I had thought of that. Cake is always appropriate for every celebration. =)

Anonymous said...

Hey Ashly! I'm so proud of you and Denny for the commitment you both have made to raise Macy B in a home that puts Christ first. Thanks for you ideas especially the one about spending some much time in the car with our children. I need to take advantage of that time. I wish I could have been there to celebrate.

Deborah Anne Whitfield said...

Wish we could have been there that weekend. I know it was special. So good to see you the other day and I loved MB kisses!! See yall soon!

Kimberly Jones said...

I know what a special day this was for you both! It is an honor to be able to commit your child to God and to raise them up to know and love Him! I know Macy Brooks will grow to love Jesus...she is one lucky girl to have you two as parents! Wish we could've made it to celebrate with you! I love you!

jennifer said...

So sorry we missed it! What an exciting day! Hope you guys are feeling better over there! Miss you!

Becca Daws said...

How precious. MB is so blessed to have you as her parents!

Sara Price said...

so special...i don't think you will have any problems with that little "mini denny"! she's a sweet treat that is for sure!

The Gordon Family said...

Who are those hot boys at the celebration:)!!! We loved sharing in Macy B's special day, we love her so much and can't wait to watch her grow into the Godly woman God intended her to be!