Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Proof

This past week I was cleaning out a few cabinets and came across something I'd forgot about. I located 4 DVD's of ultrasound I had when I was pregnant with Brooks. The office I went to for the first part of his pregnancy would record the ultrasound on DVD's. I'm so thankful they did! We have one from 7 weeks, 9 weeks, 11 weeks and 21 weeks!

When I came across them my breath caught in my throat and my heart stopped for a second. I wanted to watch it so badly, but then again I didn't. I was afraid of what my day might turn into if I watched it while I was home alone in the middle of the afternoon. I set it aside for all of 30 seconds and acted like I wasn't going to take a look. After trying to trick myself, I threw gently placed Macy B in her exersaucer and popped in the 21 week DVD.

My first emotion was pure joy! I loved watching Brooks. He was a happy guy. We saw heart beating strong, his arms and legs flailing about, his head, eyes, nose, mouth and even his boy parts. Brooks was thriving in there, so content in his mama's belly.

My second emotion was another form of happiness. Happy that we have proof of our boy. There he is right there on the TV. When your son passes away before you get to meet him outside of the womb, you aren't left with much. Not many pictures, videos, laughs or memories. It's all just pregnancy stuff where you can't actually "see" Brooks. The only thing you still have are the hopes and dreams you had for the baby. And those fade much too quickly. So in watching this boy on the television I felt so happy to have proof of his existence. I just kept saying, "See, we do have a son, he was healthy, he was super cute!"

The emotion I was left with however as the DVD came to an end was sadness. Wait, I take that back, after the sadness came a fourth feeling-anger and pure annoyance.

I was so bummed Brooks died just 18 weeks after the DVD was made. The weight of his absence seemed to fill the living room. I got in the car a little while later and called my own mama, where the annoyance showed its face. I told her that it was all so dumb. There he was, right there, happy and healthy as could be. Swimming and kicking. Opening his mouth. Rolling over. I mean, what exactly happened? He was fine, doing great and then what....we go for an appointment and its all over as we know it. So incredibly joyful, happy, sad, angry and flat out IRRITATING.

8 comments:

sjefferson said...

I am so thrilled for you guys that you have your ultrasounds of him on DVD! I can imagine the joy you must see in watching him just live. Yet, by the same token, I can only imagine it's salt on such a huge wound. I hate that it took me being pregnant to more fully understand your loss, but I've really grieved Brooks loss more since Grey. I hate that I didn't get to know him and love him like I love Macy B. I guess I just want you to know, that I haven't forgotten that sweet boy and I wonder all the time how crazy your life would be with two little lovies. But also know your witness is such a testimony of God's strength. You've got a tremendous amount of grace for the amount of loss you've seen. You're a treasured friend!

Love you,
Sarah

Tonya said...

I have looked at Grady's ultrasound pics but haven't looked at his DVD's. I'm not sure when I'll be ready...for the same reasons you posted about. I had just gone to the doctor the week before Grady went to heaven. Everything was fine...it's amazing how quickly things can change...in an instant...and for no apparent reason. It angers me, too. I'm so glad you have those DVD's to look back on, although I wish he was here in your arms, right along with little Miss MB.

Love,
Tonya

Sara Price said...

I am still praying that God will heal your heart in a way that only He can! The way I think of it is that little Brooks is alive...proof is in looking in his sissy's eyes! Only God can create something as beautiful as she is! He may not be moving in your arms...but he is in your heart! And you now know after getting to experience the "every day" musings of motherhood that really that is where they truly live anyway...IN YOUR HEART! The day to day mothering is proof of God's grace and what I like to call the icing on the cake. But, we all still love the cake and trust me...we all still love your little guy!

Jill said...

Just can't imagine. I don't have words to say other than thanks for continuing to share your heart through your grief journey, and the way you have walked through it all and continue to do so is bringing Jesus great glory.

Becca Daws said...

Oh, Ash - Your post brought tears to my eyes.

I am so grateful you have those DVD's. Your Brooks is so special and I will never forget him.

I can only imagine the complexity of emotion of the frustration of seeing him so full of life, yet the comfort too.

I love you!
Becca

Cecilia said...

I understand how complicated watching the DVD is. I never comprehended how you could feel two different extremes of emotion at the same time until we lost Ethan. I'm glad you have the DVDs and can watch them. I hope to watch our tape one day!

jennifer said...

Thats sweet Ashly!!! Im glad you have those. I can't imagine the irritating feelings..... especially since you were at the end.... I'm so sorry. I am just so happy for your family now. Macy Brooks is one lucky baby. I will never understand infant loss, never. Glad this isnt our final resting place and we can never shed another tear in eternity.

Kimberly Jones said...

I am sure you will always treasure those DVD moments of wathcing that precious boy! I can't even imagine how hard it would be to watch them and the many feelings it opens up for you. I wish so much that he was here with you, Denny, and Macy B. I will never forget that amazing little boy, who has touched more lives than even we realize! All I know to say is that I pray for you in dealing with these emotions and stand beside you to support you! Being the amazing friend that you are, you have shown such courage, grace, and strength to everyone around you...I love you!