Monday, August 26, 2013

Head bugs

Oh dear, I'm documenting this even though I'd rather just forget it ever happened! And I pray it never occurs again!!!

Macy Brooks got lice. Is anyone scratching their head yet? I still am and know I don't have it and she's clear. Wednesday 8/21, I picked her up from school and we came home and immediately hopped in the Barbie jeep for a drive. We ended up at the corner where we found a large puddle to play in and fat caterpillar to torture:) Us girls were enjoying some simple quality time and I was soaking it in. It got a little warm and the girls started to sweat and I notice MB really scratching her head over and over. The thought crosses my mind that I should take a peak. We head home and fix lunch. While they are eating I casually walk over and comb through. I was APPALLED at what I found. Little nat like things and small white nits everywhere! They were under the top layer close to the scalp.



So I'm FREAKING OUT on the inside and trying not to show it. I do a little research and call her doctor. She gives me a 15 minute talk on what to do and calls in a RX shampoo for our whole family. I call Denny home from work as I'm immediately overwhelmed with everything I have to do. Plus Kate was asleep and Macy Brooks needed help right away. He arrives home about 2:30. I've already collected all of her bedding and am washing it on HOT. I head to CVS where they proceed to tell me that the RX is $238 with insurance! More freaking out ensues. Luckily half of my neighborhood works at CVS so they all know and are trying to calm me down. They also tell me I'm the 4th person in that day to purchase a kit. I leave with the CVS brand kit to try first. It's only $25 and new hairbrushes for everyone. Go home and start another load of items. We follow the directions on the kit exactly and get her treated right away. I spend 3 hours that day treating her and then combing through with the gel and the special comb. Careful to discard the lice and nits on a paper towel. Macy Brooks is parked on a chair watching a movie while I work. The second the washer and dryer complete a load, in goes a new. Anything that could be washed in hot water was, anything that could be vacuumed was, and those things that could be neither (Barbies) went into a plastic bag for 14 days. So much for playing with that new doll house and no dolls :(  From 2pm to Midnight I completed 12 loads of laundry. It was everything she'd touched for the past 3 days. Had to vacuum mattresses and treat the couch pillows. There was cleaning carpets, car seats, couch and chairs. I kept walking around wondering where I could fold the "clean things." I just though everything was so contaminated! My feet were aching by the time I sat down at 11 PM to START my work. I also think the mental stress of it all really took a toll on us. I was trying not to show MB how stressed I was, but of course she saw me frantically cleaning and with little patience.



She slept with Olive Oil on her hair and a shower cap Wednesday night just to help smother any that I missed. Thursday I hold her out of school even though everything I read said she could go after being treated. I left the olive oil on her hair and put her in tight braids for the day. We ran a couple errands and I'm feeling more hopeful. We get home and have lunch and all take a bath. I'm washing her hair that afternoon and continue to find a couple of live ones. So Kate goes to bed and we set up movie time again and I work on her hair for another 1.5 hours. I'm combing through wet hair with the comb continuing to remove nits and a LIVE LOUSE every now and then. I become so discouraged and overwhelmed that I text Denny and ask him to look up any professional companies to help. He finds one and we make an appointment for Ms. Brenda to come to the house and clear her of these bugs! It took 1.5 hours for Ms. Brenda to coat her in olive oil and comb through with an awesome comb that left nothing behind. When she was done, we washed and dried and then she went through again with dry hair and showed me how clean it was. It cost us $210, but it was worth it. We KNOW it's gone and it was STILL cheaper than the RX.





Our babysitter arrives so we can go to small group. Macy Brooks wasn't clear and free of lice for 30 minutes when I feel of her and she has a fever!!!!!!!!! AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhh! What is going on in this house?!? We go to group from 7-9 and return home to me starting work again super late. EXHAUSTION  is setting in. Not to mention Ms. Brenda gave us a continued care plan to follow so that her work is guaranteed. The first week, MB has to wear olive oil and shower cap to bed every night, the 2nd week it's every other night and the 3rd week it's every 3rd night! We will not be done with this debacle until September 14th!!!
 
Pretty sure it was the stress that made Macy Brooks sick. She continued with the low grade fever for 2 days. Denny and I made sure to give her a low key weekend with little

stress and no lice talk! She's back to herself, but doesn't want to sleep in those shower caps anymore! Poor thing.

It has been awful! I would not wish my greatest enemy to deal with lice. Friends, please put your girls' hair up with a little hairspray when they are at school. Talk to them about not sharing hats or brushes. I'd rather clean up throw up. You can see it and you know it's clean. With this, you're just cleaning everything and hoping you go it! ugh!!! Luckily no one else in the family has it. Lice like clean hair so this mama with thick, long hair did not wash hers from Tuesday till Friday!! And I kept it up! I can't imagine if it got in here. I'd never get it out!


Thankfully it's done and I pray and hope never go through it again! Has anyone been through this?

1 comment:

Allison Russell said...

Oh honey, we went through this last Fall. I completely agree-stomach bug is WAY better. I was a wreck for 2 weeks. And I scratched myself bloody (literally), though I never got it.
It.was.awful.
A little spritz of tea tree oil also prevents.
I feel your pain.