Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Appointment update-finally

I apologize for the delay in updating on how the appointment went last Thursday at the OB. I haven't exactly wanted to re-hash the event, but the bottom line is
the baby is doing great. Good steady heartbeat at 160 and all else was well too.
The appointment itself however, did not go so great. We get called back after waiting 45 minutes and the physician's assistant comes in to do the doppler and hear the heartbeat. She tries unsuccessfully for 15 minutes to find it. And when I say 15 minutes I mean 9 years. 9 L-O-N-G years. After the first 2 years I finally begin to lose it. My body was giving me 3 choices at that time:
1. throw up
2. pass out
3. break down and cry hysterically

So I opted for number 3 as seeing I had just had lunch and wasn't interested in seeing it again and I wanted to be awake in case she ever did find the heartbeat.

It was no fun at all. The PA finally gave up and said she was sorry, but that we'd have to wait for the Dr and the ultrasound machine. Another 3 years passed (5 minutes) and Dr. G arrived and found our stubborn baby hiding somewhere. The baby looked great and I briefly calmed down.
Dr. G. was happy with the baby's activity and said things couldn't look better. She told me to come in and see the mid-wife next Friday (4/17) just for a reassurance appointment and I gladly took her up on it. Pretty sure I'll ask to skip the doppler check though and go straight to the ultrasound machine.

I feel the need to confess something going that went on in my head while the PA was searching and then while we were waiting for the doctor. I'm ashamed to type this, but I've already confessed it and want to confess it in case Prayer Warriors can find a way to specifically pray about this:
You'd think while I'm lying there and the heartbeat is no where to be found that I'd be praying and praying and praying. Well, the opposite hit me and I told Denny when we were alone and waiting that:
I really felt like we should be praying right now, telling God our desires and asking Him to show us the heartbeat. That we know He has the greatest plan laid out for us and we trust Him even though we are very scared now. I knew I should be calling out to Him in that moment- I just didn't want to. The whole appointment was such a flashback to September 17th-where I did call out to God, LOUDLY, I told Him my desires, and asked Him to show us the heartbeat and keep my son healthy here on Earth. And I'll admit, I felt so abandoned that day. I knew God could have made Brooks' heartbeat appear and He didn't. I have never felt so low and forgotten about. I know in my head all the scriptures and peace God provides, I just wasn't feeling it that September day.

Anyways, fast forward to last Thursday and that kind of explains why I was resistant to pray. While waiting for Dr. G. I sat up and Denny stood in front of me. I bowed my head on his chest and began to pray. I cannot explain the true peace that came over me. I have never experienced that feeling before and it was amazing! I told God I was scared and did not want my heart broken again in this way. I asked Him to show us the heartbeat and to wrap us in his arms. I told Him I know He knows what's best for our family and He will take the absolute best care of us. I let Him know I'd be okay if this baby wasn't for us to keep either, that I truly trusted Him.

The tears completely dried up (till I saw Baby T alive and well) and the air was crazy still. I no longer wanted to throw up, pass out or cry hysterically. It left as fast as it came on. I know that was Him.

After the appointment I was still shaken up and it wasn't until around 7pm that I could really reflect on the fact I was still growing a healthy baby. I can't put my finger on it, but I feel like the traumatic appointment experience has set me back a few months in the grief journey-it was such a repeat flashback of the worst day of my entire life. I haven't been the same since. Please continue to pray for us. I want to be able to soak up this pregnancy and experience joy on a daily basis during this season.

14 comments:

Laura Ripley said...

I don't know what to say except I hate that you had to experience that scare. Maybe It was a small test from God to see if you are truly trusting him during this time. I think the answer is YES you are. You passed and I am always blown away by God's children who trust him even in the worst circumstances. We are all praying for you and your faith and trust in our Great Lord. What makes me sad is how hard it is for you to relax and enjoy this pregnancy. Who could after going through what you and Denny have suffered. This is where you will look to your prayer pals for help. I know one thing and that is not only do we have to trust God during our pregnancy but then we have to trust them with the life and days he gives each individual child. Ahhhhhh! the never ending journey of faith and trust. I do believe when it is all said and done you will hear "Well done good and faithful servant."

Amanda Hoyt said...

So glad you got to see your precious new healthy baby last week.
Still praying...
Hugs,
Amanda

Becca Daws said...

Oh, Ashly! It breaks my heart to know you had to go through that. I am praying for you fervently as I feed Grant in the AM. I am praying that you will experience JOY and PEACE.

Love you!

Tonya said...

Ashly,

My heart sank when you described your experience. You should always get to go straight to the ultrasound first! You don't deserve that kind of scary situation at all! Praying for you and so happy that Baby T is doing well!

PS. We didn't find out the sex of our first two little girls - I loved the element of surprise and it made me want to push so much harder with the first to know if she was a boy or girl. May God continue to bless you, keep Baby T safe and healthy, and hold you close!

Love,
Tonya

Summer Pendley said...

Ashly~ Oh my goodness...as I was reading your post, I could imagine every emotion that you must have been feeling when the PA was in the room with you...I commend you for asking for peace when you needed it, and I truly believe that God understands our resistance to call out to Him at times. The act of praying can be exhausting...I guess that's why people are referred to as "prayer warriors," huh? Just know that in times when you may be exhausted or resistant in your prayers, there are MANY MANY others who are interceding on your behalf and praying every day that God covers you in His grace.

I am SOOO overjoyed to hear that Baby T is growing and thriving...although a little stubborn! :) I cannot wait to meet this little one!

In the meantime, I will pray for this setback in your grief....thanks for sharing and being so honest with all of your loyal bloggers :)

Love~ Summer

sjefferson said...

Seriously, next time you go say, "Anyone can find the heartbeat but you." And I can't believe you were able to pray like that! That's awesome. HUGE! What an example!

Hopefully the worst thing that happens next time is the tech says "your little boy/girl is getting big ...ooops, I forgot you didn't want to find out?". :) This type-A, plan-aholic friend would be so happy!

Love you and praying hard!

Aunt Jeanette said...

My Dearest Niece,

I experienced that perfect peace and relief right before going in for surgery, right after Dwight and Susan prayed for me. I know what a joy that was for you and you'll never forget that feeling. I personally don't feel like God is testing you. I feel like this is just life - sometimes so very hard. But I do feel like He was proud of you, that you called out to Him when you really didn't have the heart to do so. He understands it all. One day we will too. I want joy for you and Denny and I want it right now so that you cherish every moment - in the moment. Be strong and every time there is a negative moment, push it out with a positive one. The mind is such a powerful thing, but not more powerful than God. I believe God wants you to take advantage of both. I love you so much.

Amber said...

I am so sorry that you had to experience a scare during this pregnancy. However, I am amazed and challenged by your faith that you reached out to talk to our Heavenly Father. I will admit to you that I have struggled with reaching out to him recently, after feeling that He was silent when I needed Him. However, you are true to say that our God is always with us to give us the strength and grace to face each day. I haven't missed a chance to pray for you and baby T. Love you!

Lisa Shoch said...

Ashly, I'm still praying everyday when I take my vitamin for You, Denny, Baby T and all of your Dr's and caregivers during this long 10 month journey. I want you to feel that... trust it... believe it. Is there any way we could get you a pager (on loan) for the remainder of your pregnancy. And all of your prayer warriers could page the # every time we pray for you... especially during these tough appointments? Ask Northpoint Church if they have one you could borrow? I think it would be wonderful if you could physically know (by a vibration) every time someone prays for you. Hugs, Lisa

jennifer said...

oh ash! I wish i could have gotten together tonight to give you a big hug!! I will have to wait til Tues I guess. I am still praying everyday at naptime.... its weird how things work with God....I remember thinking since we had such a hard pregnancy with the twins that my pregnancy with Mackenzie would be so easy...and it was so hard! losing her twin, lots of appts and ultrasounds, and then partial bedrest for placenta previa...sheesh!!! I felt so mad that God was giving me a hard path again. Every appt I went to....especially the big 20 week made me have so much anxiety I couldnt sleep the whole night before. You have been through something so much worse and you are so normal for feeling the way you do. The pregnancy will seem long some days, but just take one day at a time and that sweet baby will be here before you know it. Its funny now I dont even remember the hard parts hardly, the baby will make you forget all that :) I love your verse on peace...just keep claiming truth. okay, sorry i just wrote a novel.

Stephanie says said...

I am so glad things are going well with Baby T. You are in my prayers so often. I hate that you had to go through that experience. Hope to see you both soon!

Stephanie

Deborah Anne Whitfield said...

I'm with Sarah ...I am dying to know if Baby T is a boy or girl!!!!!

Love you and still praying!!

Kimberly Jones said...

I am so sorry you had to go through that experience, and I pray you won't again. You and Denny are such a blessing to all those around you! We will continue to pray for this pregnancy, and for some peace that only He can give you! I love you!!!

Anonymous said...

oh my Ashly! This experience you had makes me so sad. I am so glad it is over and from here on you will go straight to the ultrasound. I cannot imagine the relief you felt when you did hear the heartbeat. I have a feeling that although you feel this was a set back in your grief, it may actually work for good and be used to bring you through a deeper level of healing before your next precious treasure makes his/her appearance! HE is surely close to the broken-hearted and will save those who are crushed in spirit. I pray there will be moments of true peace and sheer joy for you and Denny as you think on the baby you will soon meet...and no guilt if some joy is stolen by your deep longing for your dear Brooks. Oh how he is missed. HE ANd YOU are surely not forgotten...by the lover of your soul and your many friends who think and pray for you daily! What a mix of emotions you must feel daily. This too shall pass. I LOVE YOU. Jen