Samuel's way too early passing has dredged up so much for me that I haven't thought about in a few weeks. It has led me to re-play so many events I'd rather not....picking out caskets and plots for a baby just isn't right. Knowing exactly how Brian and Kathryn are feeling and the days that lie ahead for them are very fresh in my heart and mind.
My heart just aches for this sweet family. You'd think I'd know exactly what to say and how to say it to them since we've just been down this terrible road-but I don't. What I really want to do is email them and tell them "this sucks." It was one thing I kept saying last year. It was the only thing that kept coming to mind. It's not poetic or fancy, but oh so true. There's nothing right about burying your child.
Prayer Warriors-please visit their blog at http://apinisfamily.blogspot.com/
You will be ministered to, no doubt. Brian and Kathryn are extremely faithful to our loving God and eloquent with their words. Nothing would make me happier than if you would cover them in prayer as you covered us. They need it today and in many days to come.
My heart is completely confused. It is overfilled with joy and happiness since delivering our sweet girl. It has also made me realize just how much we were missing out on when our son died. Sarah is finally pregnant after 2 years of trying with her own healthy miracle baby. A 4 week old with a supposedly fixable heart defect has already met Jesus. I've recently heard of so much pain going on in the world, yet at the same time, am experiencing an indescribable joy I've never felt and hearing prayers answered left and right. My heart doesn't even know what to do. All I know to do is keep praising God, loving Him, thanking Him, seeking Him and praying to Him.
Since I was unable to make it to Samuel's memorial service, I headed up to the grave this afternoon to see if he was in the "Garden of Little Angels" near my Brooks. I went to visit my boy first and was stunned at what I found. Let me start by telling you we have yet to order a headstone. It seems so final and I'm not sure if it was my being pregnant again and just protecting myself or what, but we just hadn't done that yet. However, he had a nice temporary marker from the cemetary. D and I also decorated his area with wind chimes, a dangle frog toy, signs used to label herbs on which we wrote messages, flowers and a dragonfly who's wings spin in the breeze that also glows in the dark. Needless to say, even though we hadn't completed his area with his headstone-we had still decorated and had him looking good. When I showed up today to visit, I almost couldn't find him. EVERYTHING was gone, even his little sign containing his name. It was incredibly upsetting. Brooks' grave was bare. It looked as though his parents never visited or even cared-it was so sad and depressing. I called Denny bawling my eyes out-after I stomped my little self right over to the office and asked where all of our items were. (She said they never remove anything and she'd add another temporary marker this afternoon) We agreed right then, no more messing around, we needed to get that headstone ordered. We selected one tonight and it will be installed in 4-6 weeks. If D wasn't playing soccer tonight, we'd be at the stores right now buying Brooks new decorations, instead we'll do it this weekend. Not the afternoon I had in mind:( I've had a hard time not crying ever since.
(Thanks to Jason & Summer for giving this to us as a gift.You have ministered to our family in amazing ways. Both of you
have done a fabulous job of showing Christ's love through gifts
and acts of service. We will never be able to re-pay you!)
Anyways, I did find Samuel, who was not in the garden by Brooks. I hung out there for awhile and found myself talking to God the same way I did 11 and 1/2 months ago. Asking Him why, telling Him I know He knows what He's doing, thanking Him for amazing parents who are going to use Samuel's short life for His glory. All my thoughts, feelings and emotions rose straight to the surface and even though Macy Brooks has brought me miles forward in my grief journey-I realized that hole in my heart is still gaping wide open.
5 comments:
I am SO sorry Ashly that you have had such an emotional day! Your right... it just sucks! There are no words! I will pray for this sweet family! And I will pray for you.
I'll be praying also.
We'll be praying too! I've been trying to visit their blog but the link is not working. I hope it's not just me but thought I would let you know:)
Ashly~ This post completely took the breath out of me...first, I hadn't heard about Samuel yet...second, what you went through at the cemetery just broke my heart, and surprised me. I completely understand your reaction when you saw that EVERYTHING was gone around Brooks's plot....but, just know that Jason & I are honored to have helped you guys with a permanent and very meaningful stone to honor Brooks. You did an excellent job picking one out...I think it's beautiful and perfect. I'll be praying for the emotional ups and downs that you're experiencing right now...in the meantime, just rest and soak up every moment with that beautiful baby girl that God has blessed you guys with. Love you lots...here's a BIG HUG!!!!
Ashly -
First of all, congratulations on Macy! So very happy for you guys.
Thanks for your sweet note. Thanks for stopping in to see our sweet Samuel. Kathryn and I were both very touched by that. I told Kathryn that I thought that I saw you in the cemetary when we were pulling out after Samuel's burial service. I'm sorry that it was such a hard day for you, too. Thankful for God's sufficient and sustaining grace.
In Christ,
Bryan Apinis
Post a Comment