Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Is it Really?

I cannot believe I am living my dream. Is this really my life? Am I doing it? I'm doing it! And I'm here to say that it is fantastic! When I was a young girl and people would ask me what I'd like to be when I grew up, my reply was always the same- "A Mom." I've been a mom for awhile now since conceiving our son, Brooks. But, when your baby receives a death certificate instead of a birth certificate, people have a hard time viewing you as a mother. Not sure why, but they do. I guess because there is no term for it. Like, a wife who loses her husband is a widow, a child whose parent dies is referred to as an orphan. But there is no word for a mom who loses her baby. Anyways, now that Macy Brooks is here in my arms I am finally viewed as a mother by others. I am what I want to be when I grow up! It's here and it's happening and I am fully enjoying every second.

Since losing our first baby in 2006, I have felt somewhat off. God gave me the desire to be a mother and while I worked constantly on being content with my current stage of life, that was a deep, deep desire only He could fill with a child. I just had to wait on His timing. Now life feels like an on-going great dream. One of those dreams you never want to wake up from. Finally I'm the one with the sweet baby strangers are oohing and aahhing over. I'm the one who gets to lay around all day with her newborn on her chest. It's me that is now showing up at baby showers with the baby people can't wait to see. Conversations about nursing and sleeping schedules are suddenly very interesting to me.

Little things most people don't think twice about make me cry tears of happiness. Macy Brooks got her first invitation to a birthday party. My daughter, MY DAUGHTER, got invited to a birthday party! It's incredibly exciting! There were many days over the past 4 years when I wondered if that day would ever come. Guess what my friends, it's here and I love it! To hear my husband tell people about his daughter makes me tear up everytime. When she wakes in the middle of the night, my first thought is "yea, I get to see her and hold her again!" Denny is so proud and in love with her-it fills my heart with joy.

Thank you God for letting us keep MB. We are really enjoying her. Please continue to guide and direct us on how to teach her of your great love. D and I want her to fall head over heels in love with you. We ask that you will put a hedge of protection around her and that your will be done in her life each and every day. I love you-Amen.

15 comments:

Allison said...

Girl, you think this is good-just wait until you come home from being somewhere or go to pick her up from Waumba Land and she turns around and sees you and her face lights up with joy. Then she runs towards you with arms held high yelling "momma, momma".
That will stop your heart.
You're going to LOVE it when her little friends at Weekday see you and say "Hi Macy Brooks' mommy". That still warms my heart. I am Garrett's mommy. I am Harper's mommy. So proud.
So delighted to hear about your on-going love affair with that precious angel. Keep those pictures coming!

Sarah E @ theteacherswife.com said...

I'm so happy for you and your family! After all you've been through, you deserve to experience such awesome joy! God is good!

Kasey and Tyler Brindle said...

Ashly~ I am so happy for your family! I am have been praying every since I heard about Brooks passing. You both are going to be WONDERFUL parents!! Macy is beautiful in every way! God is great!

Laura Ripley said...

It is awesome watching you with sweet Macy-Brooks. Oh to be a mommy!!! I am praying for all of those who have lost a baby or can not get pregnant. I know your story will encourage them that God is good and will fulfill them in his own time. Your blog and story will give them hope for the future.

Amber said...

I prayed for a hedge of protection around Macy Brooks this morning. I am in love with that precious little girl, too! Yes, it is REAL! Your dream is TRUE! I love hearing you talk about her and your bond with her. You are and always will be her hero. Isn't that neat?! Macy Brooks will think that you have special powers just because you're her mommy. Looking forward to celebrating with you. Praying for you tomorrow.

Love ya, girl!

Stacie said...

Ashly,
I am SO SO happy for you!!I haven't talked to you in a few years, but was SO excited to hear you now have that bay you always wanted! (Christina @ NCWH told me about your site). I have been reading some of your blogs and can not believe all that yall have been through - and the strength you continued to have. I know you and Denny are wonderful parents! Enjoy that beautiful baby girl - I know she is spoiled, and deserves to be!! Stacie Earwood

Cecilia said...

So, so true. It's hard to be a mommy without a baby here on earth. I'm so glad you have Macy Brooks now!

thedunns said...

I am so happy that you get to experience all of these "mommy" things Ashly! I too just knew that when I grew up, the only "job" I wanted was to be a mother. Isn't it amazing???? To be completely head over heels in love with such a small little baby is a true love kind of feeling! You are obviously doing an amazing job at being a mommy-keep it up :)

p.s I still get excited when Jack wakes up from his naps or in the morning after 12 hours of him sleeping....I don't know if that feeling ever goes away...I hope it doesn't :)

Tonya said...

She is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations!

Kamaile said...

Great to see you so happy. You deserve all of it and more.

Isn't she lovely....

Jason Pendley Photography said...

Ashly...reading this post brings a HUGE smile to my face, b/c I know all of those "mommy feelings" that you're experiencing, and I know what's to come as well. I love your interpretation of things...I love how genuinely thankful you are of your role as a mom....I remember sharing your story with friends and even strangers. When I would tell them about you, I would always mention the fact that as long as I had known you...I KNEW for CERTAIN that you had the deepest desire to be a mom...and, I couldn't understand why you were having to endure so much heartache. But, now...having seen you with Macy Brooks, I know that God was bringing us ALL to this point...when it was HIS time for you to become a mother. I am thankful for your testament. I am thankful that I've been able to witness you and Denny becoming parents. Like I've said before, you guys are an inspiration to Jason and I! We can't wait to celebrate with you on Sat.!!!!

J. Houston said...

Ashly,

Such beautiful words from a beautiful girl uh, excuse me, woman and mother. Your aunt will always think of you as girl! I'm happy that you are so happy. Macy is getting more and more lovely each day. Her smiles are precious. And. . . so are yours. I love you.

Aunt Jeanette

Shannon said...

You truly define what it means to "embrace motherhood"... thank you for reminding me to do that more often! Love yOU!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you Ashly! I've ALWAYS known you would be such a wonderful mom and it's so fun to watch you in action! You look great and Macy Brooks couldn't be cuter!

Anonymous said...

Love the green outfit....and you!
Love, Jen